Tuesday, September 13, 2005

David Blackwood at the Emma Butler Gallery

I interviewed David Blackwood about his show of monoprints at the Emma Butler Gallery. A roomful of flowers – elegant, spontaneous, bold and full of light.

I think about David Blackwood’s earlier prints of icebergs – iconic Newfoundland images now. How they inform my sense of history. Blackwood icebergs look as though they are lit from within.

And strangely, icebergs do look that way, as though a light is burning in the core.

The kind of lights they use on movie sets that obliterate the rest of the world. Obliterate the crew and cameras and make velvet whiteness. It’s not the black that has texture. The black, outside the scope of those bulbs – I want to say Tungsten, but that isn’t the right word – is ordinary and flat. But the whiteness has a texture like velvet. It has pile and weave and tone. If you look beyond that light, when your eyes start to adjust, you still can’t see anything.

The Blackwood monoprints at the Emma Butler Gallery are full of light partly because of the transparency of the Japanese rice paper on which they are printed. There’s a heavier rag behind them and the light goes through the rice paper and reflects on the paper behind. The image is lit from within. Not a metaphor of light, but the actual, material thing.

Afterwards, for days, everything looks like a David Blackwood print.

6 Comments:

Anonymous sam said...

You are the most over-rated writer in this country next to Steven Heighton. I find your fiction absolutely unbearable. This is just an honest opinion - no agenda. I just find you earnest and quite untalented. In my humble opinion - only in Canada could someone like you not only get published but actually be praised. Sorry.

Sammy

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Sheila said...

Responding to Sammy --

For someone with such devastating punctuation, that's quite a criticism. You shouldn't, however, be sorry for your opinion. For your ignorance and punctuation, yes, but not for your opinion.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Hi Lisa:
Sammy's comments only serve to make me want to read you. I drove you from Wlfville to Halifax airport and very much enjoyed our conversation. You have relit a dimming spark in me to pursue things literary.
Keith

3:29 AM  
Blogger C. Riede said...

I don't know what the Sammy's all up about, but I bought Alligator in paperback a couple summers ago, and it made me want to write again. After a long time of not writing. And it made me fall in love with fiction all over again.

Alligator stayed with me... Enough that I'm googling here again tonight, eh?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Andrews said...

Lisa,

The members of my writing group, Life Writers Ink (aka "the Lifers") thoroughly enjoyed your talk at WCDR's June 12th, 2010 breakfast meeting.

I did a post on my blog about the comments that you made that had the greatest impact on me as an emerging writer.

http://cherylandrews.wordpress.com

Thank you for making the time to be with us on Saturday.

Cheryl

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I think you are a great writer. I just finished "Caught". Did you rush it ? Mind you it was a good read !. However I have to tell you I do not like the cover. I will never like that cover ! I think you did a disservice to all women and to caring men who love women because the are respectful equals - not to be flaunted as teasers to sell books
I look forward to your next book.
Kindest regards
Tom e toe

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home